The Statistics of Suicide
Do you believe that the number of suicides in the world exceeds 800,000 cases each year? Facing this high number, it is necessary to develop studies and research around this serious scourge.
Every 39 seconds someone commits suicide somewhere in the world! And every year, 876,500 people die from various suicidal acts. It really is a scourge that deserves that we pay much attention to the causes and motives behind this serious problem and try to find more cures to end it. This article presents the real causes that lie behind suicides from research that has cost millions of dollars, and the goal is to find an effective solution to stop these suicides. Despite the large sums of money each year invested to solve this problem, the number of people who commit suicide each year remains quite stable with a small increase as population grows.
The truths about suicide
- According to the statistics made by the United Nations, every moment we observe the world's population, there are 450 million people who suffer from psychological disorders and depression. More than 90% of suicides are related to such psychological disorders, especially depression, ie the loss of hope in life.
- Suicide is considered the eighth leading cause of deaths in the United States of America.
- Men are almost four times more likely to commit suicide than women. However, suicide attempts among women are higher than men.
- In 60% of cases of suicide, weapons such as guns were used. Studies show that the desire for suicide in a person increases with the advancement in age, that is why a significant number of people aged over 65 years commit suicide.
Factors leading to suicide
- Depression is the major factor that controls the feelings of people prepared to commit suicide.
- Despair also plays an important role in encouraging people to commit suicide.
- Repetition of attempted suicide or thinking about it are among the main causes that these people execute their suicide.
- Addiction to alcohol or drugs may be one of the reasons that lead to suicide.
- Religious beliefs towards suicide play an important role in accepting or not the idea of suicide. When a person knows that suicide is forbidden by religion, it is easy.
- The loss of something valuable or a large defeat against may cause a reaction ending in suicide.
- Psychological factors such as isolation or brutality can cause a person to think about suicide.
- Gambling debts or financial loss sometimes lead to suicide.
- Of course assisted suicide is another form of suicide.
Protective factors against suicide offered by modern science
Scholars who have studied thousands of cases of people who committed suicide, certify that it is necessary to protect people who suffer from psychological disorders that may lead to suicide. It is necessary to watch over them from a medical standpoint and provide them with a stable and healthy mental state. Of course, these scientists try to cure the disease after it occurs. In fact, the expert doctors generally conduct studies and analyzes at the onset of the disease in order to find the right cure. However, these scholars have not been able to find an effective remedy to reduce suicide because global statistics show that the suicide rate is almost stable and varies around an average of up to one million suicides year.
For those who believe that we are exaggerating, we present a very precise statistics which was conducted during the yer 2002 in the United States of America and the results are as follows:
- The number of suicides exceeded 31,000 cases: 25 000 men and 6000 women,
- More than 5,000 people among them were older than 65 years,
- The number of young people (15-24 years) reached 4000 suicides.
- Based on these figures, we can say that in America, a person commits suicide every quarter of an hour.
- In this statistic, it was also shown that 17,000 people gave themselves death by gunfire from their guns.
- More than 6,000 people have preferred to hang themselves.
- More than 700 people were jumped from the upper floors.
- More than 300 people committed suicide by drowning.
We can say that on average, each year 100,000 people die in accidents such as car accidents, etc.. In contrast, 30,000 people kill themselves. This emphasizes all together the large numbers of people who engage in suicide. The most surprising thing in this report is that 5 million Americans have tried to kill herself! Despite all the pleas which have been invested to end this scourge, the number of suicides has increased by 60% compared to the end of the last half century. Previously, it was believed that some people just showed a tendency to suicide, but studies have demonstrated that each person can attempt suicide if suitable conditions arose. It was believed earlier that talking to someone who thinks about suicide on the reasons for his suicide, would only encourage more to act. However, recent studies have shown the opposite, ie that speaking of the consequences of suicide, its profound results and the pain it causes can prevent suicide to some degree.